Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Connecting With Your Audience in ......... 3 minutes and 43 seconds


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Right now I am in my office as I just escaped a Concert that is going on right now at our Church. I will not mention the name of the band as some of you might know them and I don't want to give them a bad name as I really believe they have sincere hearts. But that's just it. If we allowed every sincere heart sing in church, or in this case perform all accross America, America would blow up! Just because you think you can sing only means that your mom wasn't honest with you growing up. You can't so please don't get into the music business.

After watching 40 plus people get up and leave our church, plus one old man left givng the boo! sign as he headed toward the doors, I just sat there and thought:

IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO CONNECT WITH YOUR AUDIENCE!

For all you Worship Leaders or Up and Coming Performing Arts people. Listen up! You can sing like Celion Dion, but if you do not connect with the people you are trying to minister too, you have nothing! Stop using the audience as a way to get off on yourself. You are there to cater to the audience. The audience is your employer (so to speak) so you do what they want, when they want it, how they want it. I am so tired of Christian Musicians thinking they have a little bit of talent, and can sing How Great Is Our God and we just let them on stage.

A worship leader, and or performer MUST MUST MUST Connect with Your Audience!

Who's our audience?

Our first audience is God Himself. We must connect with Him or else our music is just that, and our message comes accross phony. Plus, if we really believe in the power of the Holy Spirit using our Connection with Him to Connect with the hearts of others than it is even more important to make sure we are connecting with God while we lead.

Next...

We must also connect with our fellow worshipers. A worship LEADER, must do exactly that LEAD!!!!! Who are you leading? PEOPLE!!!!!! "Oh no, I don't care what people think of me, I'm just worshiping God right now." If I had a penny for every time I heard that I would be Bill Gates. If you are on stage during a worship service you are a serregate Moses, or Joshua or Paul. You are leading God's people somewhere. Stop paralyzing yourself in your own false humility, and rise up and LEAD!

How do you lead?

With CONFIDENT HUMILY! The very same way you like to be led. No body likes a cocky leader, but no one also likes a passive wimp. The reason men don't come to church today is because it's hard to worship a brown hair, tea sipping, robe wearing, Galilean whom you think you could actually beat up. Jesus Christ is not a wimp! He's a Savior, a warrior, a champion, a King. Lead your people with confidence, and humility to that Jesus, not the hippy Jesus.

Okay....

Im done venting. I litterally wrote this in 3 minutes and 43 seconds, the very same amount of time we have to CONNECT WITH OUR AUDIENCE.
So, do me a favor... If you are a worship leader or in the performing arts thing. Go ahead and print this off and read it to your people. You can not stress the importance of CONNECTING WITH YOUR AUDIENCE.

Okay? Now Go and LEAD!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O my goodness Jonathan. I hope that the band/concert people don't read this one.
I agree with you on all the points.
Hope that you connect with your audience, and Lord Willing they connect with you.
I love the fact that you get that, but wow, hope the people don't read your blog.......ouch!!!