Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Perspective

Have you ever gone to a movie theatre and wondered how exactly the movie projects on the screen? Have you ever looked back and wondered what's up there in that tiny little window with the light piercing out of it? Have you ever seen the shadow of a person in that window and wished that you were that guy?

I have been wondering all my life what life is like on the other side of the window. Until last night, when my dreams became a reality.
My friend and I went out to a movie (Bee Movie - very good movie if your 8). After the movie, she told me that she got permission to take me to the holy of holies; the inner sancturary of all moive theatres. I was so stoked. It was everything I dreamed and more. (Okay right now, most of you are thinking I am crazy... but that's just because you've never been before). I took some secret pictures to show all of you, but be quiet because I think these pictures are top secret information the U.S. government doesnt want you to know about. All I can say was that it was glorious. I was amazed at all the film, the machines, the computers, the projectors, the engines that run the film roles. Everything was so much bigger and grander than I had ever imagined. The tiny widow, really isn't all that small. It only appears that way when your on the ground looking up.
Beyond the fancy machines, the special reels, the 24 frames per second dolby digital projectors, I loved the feeling of being in control. I could see everyone in the theatre (some couples I wish I couldnt have seen.... yeah). I was above everyone. No one could see me, but I could see them. And I had the power to start their movie, stop thier movie, or interupt their movie. But I would never do that.... (yeah right).

I couldnt resist, so in the middle of one of the movies that was being played, I waved my hand accross the projector just enough to make everyone mad. But the cool thing was that no matter how mad they were, they didn't know who to be mad at because they couldn't see who it was that was destroying their Hollywood moment. The adreniline was pumping. Ahhhh... power is such a scary beautiful thing. After being dragged away from the projector and almost getting us kicked out, I realized my moment of Soverignty would be coming to an end quickly.


After we left, and later on that evening I thought about my night at the moive theatre and how beautiful it was to be in control. Since the Garden of Eden, there is something inside of all of us that desires to be in control. We long for the freedom to do whatever we want without consequence. We long for independence more than we do dependence. We like looking down, more than we do lookin up. We love knowing all, and seeing all things. Even in my short time of having some kind of power over people, I abused it.
All of us in a sense are sitting in the theatre of life watching our lives before our very eyes. None of us know the next 24 frames per second, the next scene in our moive, or the director's twist that will only be revealed in the last scene of the movie. But here's the great thing. All of us who know God, and how have been called according to his good purposes have nothing to fear. The Bible teaches us that "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." God is not a guy messing with the projector just so he can have a good laugh at our frustrations. God not only maintains the projector and what frames, and scenes goes through His Sovereign lens, He also is sitting in the seat next to us holding our hands telling us, don't worry though this is a tough scene to watch, trust me, it all works out in the end.

So the next time your watching a movie in the theatre and you look up and wonder what's in that tiny little window. Just be thankful it's not me. And be thankful that the author and director of your storey is Good. You may not be able to see him, but he is there. The movie may be scary at times, but He is sitting beside You. And the greatest thing of all... for the believer we already know what happens in the end.






2 comments:

Melissa-this-is-real said...

HAHAHA....I have gotten to do that and its fun nice job at almost getting kicked out........thats flipping FUNNY nice job singing to by the way.....you seariously should read my Blog!! Please!!!

Dominic said...

Yep thats Jonathan, always trying to make everyone mad.